Grandville Avenue Girls Choir
The Grandville Avenue Girls Choir program is designed for girls who attend Southwest Community Campus School, Chavez Elementary, and Buchanan Elementary – all in the Grand Rapids Public Schools. The Grandville Avenue Girls Choir program was formed in 1999 and serves third- through eighth-grade girls in urban Grand Rapids. The emphasis of these choirs is placed on vocal music in a positive atmosphere. Repertoire is varied and ranges from Hispanic folk songs to jazz and gospel tunes.
These students attend rehearsal once a week and have two major concerts throughout the season, as well as other smaller performances in the community. Several times a year they go on special outings. Some of these special outings in the past have included pool parties at the Radisson Hotel, gymnastics clinics, visiting the Grand Rapids Children’s Museum and traveling to Chicago.
- Correct posture and breathing techniques
- Beginning vocal technique and part-singing
- Develop confidence and stage presence
The rehearsal schedule is as follows:
- Buchanan Elementary: Mondays 3:30–4:30 PM
- Chavez Elementary: Tuesdays 3:30–4:30 PM
- Southwest Community Campus School: Thursdays 4:00–5:00 PM
The Grandville Avenue Girls Choir is directed by Ms. Lori Tennenhouse.